GPA Access Abroad
GPA Access Abroad
GPA Access Abroad is an initiative to increase academic access to education abroad opportunities for CU Boulder students. Students who do not meet the stated minimum GPA requirement for a program may still apply to some programs if they feel there are extenuating circumstances that should be taken into account. When reviewing an application, we consider the entire dossier of a student including the application essays, recommendations and academic history (transcripts from all institutions a student has attended). We know that students can face difficulties at any point in their academic career that can affect their cumulative GPA. Ultimately we want to have confidence that each student is prepared to be academically successful in the overseas environment. We look for indicators such as an upward trend in grades and a recent history of passing a full load of classes.See the green button at the bottom for a list of programs that may accept students whose GPA is below 2.5, but who are still in good academic standing in their School/College.
Eligibility (must be maintained until the program start date):
- You must be enrolled as a student at CU Boulder.
- Your GPA should fall between 2.0 and 2.5.
- You must be in good academic standing in the School or College you are enrolled in (and not on academic probation or suspension). Definition of "good standing" varies by School and College). Check yours here:
- Some programs may have special requirements such as language experience or course prerequisites, so please verify that you are eligible by checking the webpage for the program you are interested in.
- Complete all items in your First Steps (Pre-Application) checklist. This includes uploading a copy of your transcript so we can review it before we meet with you.
- After completing your First Steps (Pre-Application) checklist, confirm that you are in good academic standing in your School or College.
- Come to our office to meet with an Education Abroad Advisor. Check the advising schedule.
Not sure if you qualify to apply? Come talk to us!
- All students are required to pay a non-refundable $50 application fee. If you are not accepted to the program because of your academic history or some other factor, your application fee will not be refunded.
- If you are accepted to a program, you may be accepted with a condition such as maintaining a specified GPA, or completing a full load of courses with passing grades. If you do not meet your condition we reserve the right to rescind your acceptance to the program.
Note: Most, but not all, programs listed at the link above have flexibility down to a 2.0. Some may require a 2.25-2.30 minimum GPA. Check with an Advisor for clarification on the program(s) you are interested in.