Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions


Get Started

Our Get Started page provides step-by-step instructions. We're excited to work with you!

Once you’ve completed your first steps, in-person advising is available on a drop-in basis, or you can schedule a Zoom appointment. Our office is located in Center for Community (C4C), S355. Advisors are available Monday through Friday, 9 am to 4:30 pm.

You can also contact us via live chat or email.

All of our programs have a class standing requirement. Most programs require sophomore or junior standing. If you have transfer credit, it will be considered in determining your class standing.

Speak with your Academic Advisor and consider your extracurricular involvement to decide when education abroad will best fit into your schedule.

In order to give yourself time to research, select, and apply to a program we recommend that you begin planning your education abroad experience a year in advance. Application deadlines are typically early in the semester prior to the term you intend to go abroad. That said, admissions is rolling for most programs, so it’s in your best interest to apply early (over summer or winter breaks).

Note: some scholarship deadlines precede program deadlines; planning early will enable you to apply for more scholarships!

If you are a CU Boulder student, you have hundreds of CU Boulder approved education abroad programs to choose from! We encourage you to find a program that is a great fit for you by considering factors such as courses offered, location, program type, cost, etc.

There are many benefits to going on a CU Boulder approved program including the ability to earn CU Boulder credit, the ability to use federal/institutional/state financial aid, and more.

Some programs are open to students who do not attend CU Boulder. To see these programs, use our program search. The search criteria “Open to students from” allows you to search by state, institution, or country.

Any program you find through our program search is a CU Boulder approved program. A program is considered “approved” after it has been evaluated by the CU Boulder Education Abroad Committee and determined to meet CU Boulder academic standards. If you participate in a CU-approved program you will earn in-residence credit (as if the work had been completed on the Boulder campus) for courses taken abroad, and can apply federal, state, and institutional financial aid to the program.

Try using our program search to find options that match your goals and priorities. Search by: location, term, cost, program type, academic subject, eligibility, and much more. Of course, Education Abroad Advisors are also available to help!

CU Boulder partners with universities worldwide allowing students to “exchange” a term at CU with a student from a partner university abroad. Exchange programs internationalize the Boulder campus and present unique opportunities for both incoming and outgoing students. When exchange positions are available, it reduces the overall cost of the program. While exchanges are among our most affordable programs, they require a high level of independence.

Use the “Exchange" parameter of our program search (under "Program Features") to explore exchange options. Some exchange programs can be competitive; speak with an Education Abroad Advisor to learn more.

Yes! You can take courses taught in English in over 50 countries. Use the program search parameter “Pre-Program Language Level” and select “*No experience with host country language” to find programs that offer courses in English. Be sure to check the course prerequisites for any program you are considering, as some of our programs have other prerequisites besides language background.

Our foreign language course requirements are based on CU Boulder’s language course structure. For example, if a program requires 4 semesters of college-level Spanish, you need to have completed Spanish 2120/50 (or another university’s equivalent) before your program begins. If you haven’t taken language classes at the college level, you can find out your estimated proficiency by taking the online language placement exam.

Results from this exam are a good indicator of what programs you may be eligible for, but they do not guarantee that you can apply for those programs. It’s important to know that language exam results tell you what language level you have placed into at CU Boulder, not what you have placed out of. For example, if you take this exam and the results yield SPAN 3000, this indicates that you have placed out of SPAN 2120/50. However, this does not make you eligible for programs with a SPAN 3000 requirement; you would need to complete SPAN 3000 in order to apply for those programs.

For languages not listed here, please contact an Education Abroad Advisor for assistance.

It is strongly preferred that students complete academic coursework in the semester prior to the experience abroad to ensure adequate preparation and maximum potential to succeed while abroad. Students may or may not be permitted to go abroad in the term following a full semester away from CU (or away from an academic institution). Education Abroad staff will consider each case individually, with a focus on the academic performance in the most recent semester (among other factors). Students may be asked for additional information or documentation.

It’s possible to complete your final degree requirements while on education abroad; however, based on transcript timelines, your graduation date and receipt of diploma may be delayed. It’s important to work with your department or college to make sure that you will receive the credits you need while abroad. Keep in mind that education abroad programs often don’t end until after CU’s graduation dates; being abroad may preclude participating in a commencement ceremony (although you will be permitted to participate in an earlier or later May or December ceremony).

You can go abroad in the term immediately following graduation. For example, if you graduated in the spring, you may go abroad on one of our summer programs. If you graduate and then go abroad, you may no longer be eligible for financial aid, and you may be required to begin paying back loans (if applicable). If you are affected by these considerations, you may wish to delay graduation until after your education abroad program ends. Regardless of whether you’ve graduated, the education abroad program name and overall credits passed/earned will appear on your transcript.

Back to top of page


Abroad 101 is your first step. It’s important to complete this even if you know what program you want to go on. (Note: graduate students are exempt from this requirement). Then, contact an Education Abroad Advisor either in-person, via Zoom appointments, via email, live chat, or over the phone. An advisor will determine your eligibility and work with you to ensure this program is the right fit. They will also make sure you have reviewed all of your options. From there, an advisor will open an application, which you can access through Buff Portal.

An application typically includes short-answer personal statements, transcript(s), online forms and materials for our office and/or your education abroad organization or host university, and an application fee. A few programs also ask for a short-form academic reference (from a college level professor or graduate TA).

Your application is complete when all of the items in your MyCUAbroad checklist have been marked as received (a check box next to the item) and after you click on the Submit button at the top of your application page.

We verify your eligibility when we open your application. If you submit a quality application by the posted deadline, you have a good chance of being accepted. Weak personal statements and/or discrepancies in your academic/disciplinary histories may affect your chances of acceptance. Note that most programs fill on a rolling basis and some have limited enrollment. It is always in your best interest to apply early!

We work hard to help you find a program that is a good fit for your academic and personal goals. We limit you to one program per term, so that you can invest your time and effort into one strong application. Note: you may apply for more than one summer program if the dates don’t overlap and you plan to attend both.

Applications for most programs are reviewed on a rolling basis while applications for certain exchanges are reviewed after the posted application deadline. For programs with rolling admissions, you will receive an admission decision 1-3 weeks after you complete your application. If you are applying to a program without rolling admissions, you can expect a decision 1-3 weeks after the deadline. You will be notified via email in all cases.

If you are not accepted to your first choice program, a good alternative is likely available. We will work with you to explore options that suit your academic and personal goals. If you are not accepted because of your disciplinary status, you may be eligible to reapply at a later date. Please note that our office cannot guarantee acceptance into any program.

While your application is in review, there is still plenty to do! Start reviewing visa requirements for your country (if necessary) and make sure your passport is up-to-date - it should be valid for at least 6 months after the end of your program. Also, begin to search course offerings for potential courses you may want to take while abroad.

Both applications must be complete by the CU Boulder deadline. Many education abroad organizations require hard-copy items (official transcripts, passport photos, etc.). If you need to mail items, they should be post-marked by our deadline.

Nothing is wrong – CU Boulder Education Abroad sends appropriate materials once we have made an acceptance decision, so it may take 2-3 weeks before they are sent.

It can take several days for forms to be uploaded to your checklist. We date-stamp every piece we receive, so even if it takes a few days to check in, we know when you submitted it.

Carefully read the instructions in your MyCUAbroad or education abroad organization application about the reference requirements. Several weeks before the application deadline, ask a professor, instructor or graduate-level TA if s/he is willing to complete an Academic Evaluation: Short Form for you. Once s/he has agreed, log in to MyCUAbroad and either:

  • Request the Academic Evaluation: Short Form by clicking on “Request E-Recommendation” and following the prompts to enter their contact information, or
  • Enter the person’s contact information under “Academic Reference Contact Information" so that we can contact them should an academic evaluation be required.

Usually no. For almost all programs, references MUST come from a graduate TA or faculty member who has taught you in a college course, either at CU Boulder or another institution. References that come from an advisor or supervisor will be considered supplementary and will not count as a required reference.

The exception to this is if you are applying to an ISA internship or other select internship programs. In these cases, your reference should come from an employer or advisor.

Please contact an Education Abroad Advisor in our office to discuss your options.

Use the costs that are posted from the most recent term as an estimate. If you don’t see any costs posted for your program this means that the program is new. Please contact our office for assistance.

Yes. You are required to report all incidents--including warnings--on and/or off-campus. For questions about how your disciplinary history can affect your participation, read the Eligibility page.

If and when you are accepted, you'll be informed of your exchange or non-exchange position in your acceptance email.

Generally yes, but many factors have to be taken into account. In most cases you will still need to apply for the program for the following term and meet all deadlines, but there are sometimes exceptions if you are staying on the same program in the same location. In some situations it is not possible to stay abroad longer due to visa requirements. You should email your CU Program Manager if you are considering extending your stay.

Back to top of page

Courses & Credit

Credit earned on a CU Boulder education abroad program is considered "in residence" credit. This means that your coursework on a CU Boulder approved program counts just like the coursework you complete here in Boulder. In order to determine what degree requirements these courses will fulfill, you will Submit Courses for Evaluation.

All courses will appear on your CU degree audit.  Your education abroad program name and overall credits passed/earned will also appear on your transcript. At minimum, your courses will be elective credit unless you take a course(s) that is not eligible for credit at CU Boulder. Learn more on the Fulfilling Credit Abroad webpage.

If you complete a for-credit internship but do not get written review & approval from your college or department, you will not earn any credit for the internship and it will not appear on your CU transcript. See the International Internships page for more information.

Grading policies vary by program. See the Academic Policies page to learn how the credits you earn on your program will come back to CU Boulder.

All majors available at CU Boulder are available abroad, though exactly how courses count towards your degree is something you will need to research and plan. To search for programs by general subjects available, used our program search.  The Course Approvals List includes over 20,000 approvals for various CU majors and degree requirements.  Be sure to cross-check the approvals list with your program's current course offerings to ensure that they will be offered while you are abroad. 

You will work closely with your Education Abroad Program Manager and your Academic Advisor(s) to plan the specifics of your courses once you select a program.

For some programs, course offerings/schedules may not be available until shortly before the program start date, or until you are on-site. In this case, work with your Academic Advisor before you leave to develop a plan and for what you hope to fulfill while abroad.  Use the Course Approvals List as much as possible, and then submit courses for review after the formal offerings are posted (the CU course review process is done electronically).

Review the Fulfilling Credit Abroad page to learn how the courses you take on your program can help you fulfill your CU degree requirements.  

Review the Fulfilling Credit Abroad page to understand the course content needed in order for a course to be approved for a specific Gen Ed area. Courses already approved for A&S Gen Ed requirements can be found on the Course Approvals List. You can submit the A&S Gen Ed Evaluation Request Form found on the Submitting Courses for Evaluation page to have new courses evaluated as well. 

Review the Course Planning page to determine when your Academic Advisor or Ed Abroad staff are your best resource. Both teams are here to support you as you plan for your program!

Yes, although we strongly encourage you to do so prior to departure.  If you can't access course offerings until after your arrival abroad, then be sure to submit classes for review ASAP.  Do NOT wait until after you return - submit courses as soon as you can.

See Transcripts & Post-Program Academics for an estimated time of arrival of your program coursework. Once our office has received your transcript, it will be processed and posted to your degree audit, where it can be viewed by you and your Academic Advisor. It will take up to 3 weeks after your courses are available in the degree audit system before the education abroad program name and overall credit passed/earned will appear on your CU Boulder transcript.

By carefully planning their courses, most students who go abroad still graduate within their intended timeframe. We recommend the following steps:

  • Select as many courses from the Course Approvals List as possible.  Submit additional courses for review as needed (and as soon as you can determine your courses abroad).  Don't make any assumptions about how courses count!  
  • Be sure to cross-check courses between the approvals list and your program website to ensure that they will be offered during your term abroad.
  • Stay in close communication with your Academic Advisor throughout the process.
  • Keep all documentation about all the courses you took (papers, reading lists, etc.) until the courses are posted to your audit and counting towards any pre-approved degree requirements.
  • See Transcripts & Post-Program Academics page to learn when CU will receive your transcript and post the credits to your degree audit 
Back to top of page


No, you do not pay Boulder campus tuition and fees when you are on a CU education abroad program. Instead, you pay the actual cost of your education abroad program, which varies greatly from program to program. Some programs cost less than what Colorado residents would normally pay to study and live in Boulder. Some programs cost more than what non-residents would normally pay to study and live in Boulder. Most program costs fall somewhere in between these two extremes. On average, a semester abroad costs more than a semester at CU for resident students and less than a semester at CU for non-resident students.

To quickly find the cost of any CU education abroad program, consult the Program Costs page. The bottom line (Total Estimated Budget) includes the cost of tuition & fees, room & board, health insurance, books & supplies, airfare, personal and living expenses.

The short answer is that education abroad program costs vary widely: some programs will be less expensive than what you pay at CU (view estimates of comprehensive costs to study/live at CU), some may be about the same cost, and some may be more expensive. This can be true for both resident students and non-resident students. For students concerned about the costs of studying abroad, there are many resources and recommendations, including selecting an affordable program, using financial aid towards the program, and applying for additional scholarships. See the Ed Abroad programs that work for your budget page for more resources and details. 

When you go abroad, you will mostly pay for the same types of costs that you encounter during a term at CU (instructional costs, "tuition" for your program), housing costs, food costs, health insurance, transportation, etc.). However, there are a few additional costs that you may have when going abroad. The following are examples of some of these costs. Most of these costs are included in the estimated costs in each program budget on the Program Costs page:

  • Airfare to and from your host country
  • Passport application fee
  • Visa application fee (not required for every country)
  • CU Boulder Education Abroad Administrative fee 
  • Immunizations (only needed for certain locations)
  • Personal spending money for extra travel - varies greatly from student to student (not included in Program cost budgets)

Program costs vary greatly from program to program, largely because of two factors: location and program infrastructure. Programs located in countries with a comparably low cost of living are generally more affordable. Programs located in countries with a high cost of living (such as Australia, New Zealand, or countries in Western/Central Europe) are generally more expensive. These costs are also affected by exchange rates.

Programs with more infrastructure and numerous built-in services contribute to a higher program cost. A program like Semester at Sea, for example, has high infrastructure costs due to the cost of the ship, the services on board and the large, necessary staff. However, programs with a low infrastructure costs still offer good support for students and sometimes offer opportunities such as field trips and volunteer opportunities. There is not a direct correlation between program cost and level of quality.

Since students will still be billed for their education abroad program fee through the CU Bursar's Office, payments are due at the same time as regular CU Boulder tuition. Tuition for fall, the first semester of an academic year program and the second semester of a calendar year program will be due on September 5. Tuition for spring, the second semester of an academic year program and the first semester of a calendar year program will be due on February 5. Tuition for summer programs will be due on June 5 regardless of when the program actually begins. For additional information, please read through the Billing page within the Accepted Student Guide.

Please note that some costs such as program deposits, plane tickets, visa fees, immunizations, and possibly housing costs will need to be paid sooner than these dates. For more information about possible additional costs, please see the FAQ below called "What am I paying for when I go abroad?"

Education Abroad students are eligible to enroll in the same payment plan options as they would during a typical semester. The payment plans are available through the Bursar's Office, and will allow you to breakdown your EA program fee into monthly installments. The due date of the first payment will vary depending on which option you select. Reach out to the Bursar's website if you have any specific questions about the payment plans options or how to sign up.

Yes! You can use your federal, state and institutional financial aid on approved education abroad programs. Additional information is available on our Financial Aid page.

Numerous scholarships are available to students applying to go abroad. Most students will be eligible to apply for at least 1-2 scholarships, if not more! Additional information is available on our Scholarships Page.

Any current scholarships awarded by CU Boulder will apply toward approved program costs and appear on your bill as they normally would. If you receive private scholarships from another organization, please check with that organization directly about applicability of those funds.

CU Boulder education abroad programs are not COF eligible, nor will the credit earned be deducted from the 145 lifetime credit hour limit.

  • COF funding cannot be used to pay education abroad costs because the COF is used to offset Boulder campus tuition. Students on CU Boulder education abroad programs do not pay tuition to Boulder while abroad.
  • Because you cannot use COF funding for CU Boulder education abroad programs, the credit hours earned while abroad will be exempt from the 145-hour lifetime credit limit.
  • Even though credit earned on CU Boulder education abroad programs doesn't count toward the COF limit, it is posted on the CU degree audit and may be used to satisfy core, major, or elective requirements.

Questions? Please read more about COF at the CU College Opportunity Fund (COF) Project website.

Possibly. Additional information is available on the Veterans, GI Bill & ROTC page.

Any outstanding/overdue balance on your CU Bursar's account must be paid well before your departure. We will check student balances as part of the registration process for the Education Abroad placeholder course. If a balance exists, we will contact you to discuss your options and whether or not you need to withdraw from your program.

  • Students applying to the same provider/program for multiple summer locations/sessions (i.e. two CIEE sessions, two DIS sessions) will not be charged more than one application fee. Students will also not be charged relevant CU Boulder Education Abroad administrative fees nor the CU Boulder Education Abroad international health insurance for their second (or third) program. Students will be charged all other posted program costs, which may include an additional provider discount (see last bullet below).

  • Students applying to different providers/programs for 2-3 summer sessions (i.e. a Global Seminar and a CIEE program):

    • Will be charged any relevant application fees for each program.

    • Will also be charged relevant CU Boulder Education Abroad administrative fees for the first and second program, but not for the third program (if participating on three summer programs)

    • Will also not be charged CU Boulder Education Abroad international health insurance for the second (or third) program.

    • Will then be charged all other posted program costs, which may include a percentage discount from the program itself (see below).

  • Some programs/partners provide a modest discount if students participate on multiple programs in the same summer session. This varies by program, so please inquire with us for more details.

Back to top of page

Passports & Visas

A visa is official permission granted by the authorities of the countries where you will study or travel, which allows you to enter and remain in that country. The visa is your entry or residency permit which usually appears as a stamp in your passport. Most students going on programs for 90 days or longer need a visa; some programs of shorter duration also need visas.

Yes. In most cases the visa will be stamped inside your passport. Most consulates require you to submit your actual passport along with your visa application. If you don't already have a valid passport you should apply for one as soon as you decide to go abroad, even before you apply for your program. This process can take several weeks to several months, depending on the country and time of year when you apply.

If you already have a passport, check the expiration date. Your passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months after your program ends.

When applying for a passport for the first time you have to submit your application in person. The State Department has everything you need to know about U.S. passports (how to apply, how to get a rushed passport, how to renew your passport). 

If your passport was lost or stolen and you are departing imminently or if you need your passport to apply for a visa within two weeks, you may call the National Passport Information Center to schedule an appointment to apply in person at a Passport Agency.

After you are accepted into your study abroad program, you will be given information on any required visa process for your host country. However, it is your responsibility to determine and comply with entry requirements for your host country (and all countries you plan to visit while abroad). For information on entry requirements for a specific country, please go to the Entry/Exit Requirements section in the Country Specific Information pages on the U.S. Department of State Website.

After you have checked out the information in the Entry/Exit Requirements section, you should then determine which consulate you should use to apply for your student visa. In most cases you will apply to the regional consulate for your host country that has jurisdiction over your home state. For instance, if you are studying in Spain and your home state is Colorado, you will use the Consulate of Spain in Los Angeles. If you aren't sure which consulate you should use, you can start by contacting the Embassy for your country here in the United States to ask which consulate you should use.

Note that in some instances regional consulates will also accept visa applications from students who are going to school in a state under their jurisdiction, even if their state of permanent residence falls outside their jurisdiction.

No. Student visa requirements for the same country can vary significantly from one consulate to another. Be sure to use only the visa requirements for the consulate under whose jurisdiction you fall.

Even though many consulates post student visa requirements on their website, we recommend that you contact the consulate directly to request the visa instructions in writing. Some consulates do not have the most up-to-date instructions on their websites, so you should only use instructions that you have obtained from the consulate directly.

Many students and parents report being frustrated in their repeated and unsuccessful attempts to reach a consular official. One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes consulates are understaffed; possibly they are a one-person office. It is important to remain considerate and polite, even when feeling frustrated.

We recommend communicating with the consulate in several ways. Usually consulates have limited hours when they answer the phone. If phone calls don't go through, you can try emailing, sending a fax, or visiting in person if you live in the area. If you visit in person, see if an appointment is required. Usually one of these is the preferred method of communication. Allow several days or more for a response.

This requirement varies from consulate to consulate. Some consulates accept visa applications by mail, while more and more consulates are now requiring students to submit visa applications in person or to pick them up in person (or both). Some program providers have obtained permission from consulates to do batch processing of visa applications where they will collect your visa application and submit it on your behalf, but this is not common. If your program is able to provide this service they will let you know once you have been accepted into your program.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, consult the embassy or consulate of the countries you will visit to determine their requirements. The procedures that you will follow may be different than those for U.S. citizens. It is important to initiate this process as soon as possible in order to assemble documents and allow time for lengthy procedures. 

If you are an international student at CU Boulder you must meet with an International Student Advisor in International Student & Scholars Services (ISSS) and inform them about your plans so that they can properly document your U.S. immigration paperwork. See our International Student FAQs for more info.

The cost for obtaining visas varies from zero to over $500 to apply.

Education Abroad includes the estimated cost for a student visa application within the program budget that it sends to the Office of Financial Aid. This is the same as is posted on the estimated costs page. This estimate factors in the cost of applying for the student visa (including the cost of applying in person if necessary with airfare, lodging, and meals). Financial aid takes into account the total estimated cost for the program, including these visa expenses.

This is a very important question, especially for students going on spring programs when there is a narrow window of time between applying for a program in the fall and the deadline to apply for a student visa. Check the application timeframe on the consulate website very carefully. Usually consulates have a beginning and ending date during which they will accept visa applications. (For example, they might accept visa applications between 30-90 days before your scheduled departure.) Apply as early as possible. This means you should start gathering the required supporting documents well in advance so that you have everything ready to go when the consulate will first start accepting visa applications.

These requirements vary widely. Check the consulate's instructions early in the process so you will know what you need to do, and what documents you will need to request from outside sources. It could take some time for you to gather all of these pieces. Here are some examples of the types of supporting documents consulates have been known to ask for:

  • Official letter of acceptance from your home university and/or from your program provider.
  • Official letter of acceptance from an institution in the country where you will be studying.
  • Doctor's letter certifying that you meet certain health requirements.
  • Copy of most recent parental income tax returns.
  • FBI background check --if you need this, start this process soon! It can take up to 16 weeks to obtain this clearance.
  • Certified check or money order for the visa fee.
  • Proof of required health insurance.
  • Proof of means of financial support (could include proof of financial aid award package, letter from your bank, letter from parents, etc.).
  • Proof of travel itinerary.

Passport photos are a style of photograph with specifications regarding the size of the photo, what sort of head and facial clothing is permitted, a particular background color, and other specifications. Do not try to take or print passport photos yourself, as the regulations regarding these photos are specific and strict. Although these specifications are often standard, some countries publish a list of their unique specifications with their other visa application requirements. There are many places where you can get passport photos including the Buff OneCard office, Walgreens, CVS, post offices, etc.

Pay attention to the details of this requirement. Do they require that you have a round trip ticket? Will they accept a copy of your itinerary from your travel agent? If you are taking a group flight, will they accept a letter from your home university or program provider indicating this, or do they need an actual itinerary? Do they require that you have a return flight within a certain period after your program ends?

If they ask for a round-trip ticket you will need to purchase one, even though you might not know exactly when you will be returning home. Students usually buy the return ticket, verifying with their travel agent that they can change the return date later. There is usually a penalty fee associated with changing the travel dates (and the penalty could apply to each leg of the flight, including any domestic flights within the U.S.)

Some travel agencies or organizations offer differing change fee options, so we recommend that you research several options before booking your flight.

This scenario applies to students going to one country in the fall and then to another country in the spring, or combining a fall/spring term abroad with a summer program in another country. Doing back-to-back programs like this - while doable - can present a challenge for you, and some combinations can be impossible due to visa processes. 

First, check to see if you will need a visa for each country. If you do, know that it is highly unlikely that you can apply for both visas at the same time. You will have to first obtain your visa for your first host country, and then usually obtain your second visa for the following term's country during your break between programs.  This is because most countries require that U.S. citizens apply for their visas here in the U.S. (so students usually can't complete the application while they are still in their first host country).  Remember that consulates will usually keep your passport while they process your visa application, some for an extended period of time (for example 4-6 weeks). So the period between your programs needs to be long enough to complete the second visa application. 

For these reasons, studying on back-to-back programs in different countries is challenging, but not impossible (depending on how flexible you are on location). If you are interested in this option, contact Education Abroad for advice.

If you plan to work while you are studying, you could be subject to different or additional visa requirements. Check to see if your student visa allows you to work (usually not the case). Even if it is allowed you might be required to obtain a special stamp from the immigration authorities upon entering the country. The hours you are allowed to work could be limited. If you plan to do an internship (paid or unpaid) or volunteer project on your program, check with your program provider to see how this will impact visa requirements. Will you need additional paperwork documenting the nature and hours of your internship or service learning project? Will you need a special visa?  In some countries, it may not be an option at all.

You may be denied entry into, or be deported from, a country for which you have not obtained a required visa. Education Abroad, the Office of International Education, and the University of Colorado Boulder are not responsible for obtaining visas nor are they in any way responsible for visa denial.

If your host country requires a visa and you don't obtain one, you won't be able to study on your education abroad program.

The following list gives some examples of reasons that a visa might be denied:

  • incomplete visa applications, including missing signatures or supporting documents
  • visa applications submitted without a signed passport
  • visa applications turned in too early or too late
  • visa application submitted to the wrong consulate
  • not complying with certain medical requirements
  • many countries will not issue visas to persons with any type of criminal record

Congratulations! Your visa usually consists of an official stamp placed inside your passport. However, you aren't done yet! Carefully check all of the information in the visa. Is your name spelled correctly? Are the dates for the visa correct? If anything needs to be changed, contact the consulate immediately to ask them to correct your visa.

Back to top of page

International Students

Yes! We encourage all students to take advantage of international educational experiences, and international students study abroad through CU Boulder every term.

Make sure you begin discussing any study abroad plans early with both Education Abroad and International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS), as your timeline may be quite a bit lengthier than that of a U.S. citizen studying abroad. Planning is key, so be proactive.

Depending on the country where you hope to study abroad and the length of your program, it is quite likely that you will need to obtain a visa to study there (for example, you will need an Italian visa to study in Italy for a semester). This process could look quite different for you compared with your classmates that hold U.S. passports. For example, while your U.S. classmates may not need a visa to go on certain programs, you might, and you may need to apply in person which usually involves out-of-state travel. Additionally, you may be required to obtain more than one visa if you hope to travel to multiple countries, or some countries require a transit visa if you are flying through their airport.

Because of how lengthy and complicated this process can be, some international students take the host country visa requirements into account when they select their program, choosing to study in a location that has less complex visa requirements given their passport. Either way, we recommend that non-U.S passport holders be researching the visa application process even before they have applied and been accepted to a program.

Education Abroad directs its program-specific visa instructions (made available in your post-acceptance checklist) towards U.S. passport holders, so researching and completing your individual visa requirements will be an independent process. Here is some general advice:

  • We recommend contacting the host country embassy or consulate (here in the U.S.) directly for information on your specific requirements
  • Pay attention to which consulate has jurisdiction over Colorado, as consulates regularly only accept visa applications from students living within their region
  • Whenever contacting a consulate, you may find that some consulates respond better to phone calls than emails, or vice versa, so you may have to try several avenues. Either way, keep in mind that consulates are generally understaffed and response times will likely be delayed. Be patient and keep trying.

Please note that ISSS Advisors are unable to advise on visa requirements for your study abroad destination.

The consulate for your intended host country will have the most up to date information. However, if you are going on a program through a partner organization (CIEE, ISA, etc.), your organization will have additional information for you about visa processing. There are also a number of visa services that may be able to help you through the process (for a fee). Some of the common ones are Travisa, CIBTvisas, and TravelVisaPro, but there are many. Please note that Education Abroad cannot recommend any one service over another.

You should speak with an ISSS Advisor as soon as possible to discuss your U.S. visa requirements and additional travel information. Know that you must maintain full-time enrollment status while abroad, or else you risk jeopardizing your U.S. immigration status.

Please note that ISSS Advisors cannot advise on visa requirements for your study abroad destination.

If your studies at CU are sponsored by your government or company, you must make sure that your scholarship will permit you to study outside the U.S. In order to be fully accepted into your study abroad program, you are required to meet with your Sponsored Student Advisor in ISSS. Please plan to contact your ISSS Sponsored Student Advisor and scholarship sponsor several months before you need to commit to your study abroad program, as some sponsors require documentation and need time to secure approval with the Ministry of Education or company headquarters abroad.

Visit our Get Started page to learn about how to start exploring your program options!

Once Accepted

Once we complete the review of your application, we will forward any necessary materials to your education abroad organization or host university. Your organization or host university will then review your application and contact you with an admission decision. You can expect to hear back from them within 1-6 weeks, depending on the program.

Use your MyCUAbroad application checklist, information from your host university/education abroad organization (if applicable), and the Once Accepted page for information about your next steps. 

In your MyCUAbroad checklist, sign your Participant Contract to confirm your participation in your program. All other checklist items include the timeline by which you must complete them.

When you signed your contract, your CUBill&Pay account was charged the required nonrefundable $700 deposit. This deposit confirms your spot on the program and must be paid by the next CU Boulder Bursar’s Office due date. Check your account on Buff Portal to view this charge as well as the due date.

You will complete General Orientation online in your MyCUAbroad checklist. All components of the online General Orientation should be completed prior to your Program-Specific Orientation.

Program-Specific Orientation dates are listed on the Once Accepted page. If your program is not listed, your orientation date is still pending.

Program-Specific Orientation is required and an important step in your education abroad journey. Program-Specific Orientations are exciting and helpful because returned students from your program will be there to talk to you about their recent experiences on your program. As you can imagine, the break-out panels are not possible to recreate. If you cannot attend, contact returned students (you will receive their contact info after the orientation) and take one of them out to coffee. Keep in mind, every student has a different experience.

If you have a class during the orientation, ask another student to take notes for you. If you work during orientation, please try to switch your shift. If you still find that you are unable to attend orientation, email your Program Manager.

Regardless, carefully read all the materials in your MyCUAbroad checklist as well as all of the information that you receive from your education abroad organization or host university. It is essential that you complete and return all items required in a timely manner.

Do not purchase your airline tickets until you have been accepted by CU Boulder Education Abroad and your education abroad organization or host institution. Your post-acceptance materials will provide instructions on when you should plan to arrive. You may, however, wish to start shopping around for good fares now. We recommend using an advanced search to check for flights on multiple travel sites. Be sure to consider student discounts, baggage fees, flexibility of changing your return date and any fees charged for doing so (in case you decide to stay and travel).

If you have been accepted to a faculty-led Global Seminar program, do not book your flight until you receive an email from our office explicitly instructing you to do so.

Back to top of page

Housing in Boulder — before and after education abroad

If you are planning ahead, you might want to consider living on campus or in CU’s Apartment Style Living the semester before your education abroad program. These housing options allow you to cancel your contract with no cancellation fees if you are attending an official CU education abroad program. If you are looking to cancel your contract, please reach out to University Housing for more information.

If you are in a lease, you may want to advertise your housing to returning education abroad students, visiting international students, students transferring in to CU, and other CU students. Consider posting your sublet on Ralphie’s List, which is part of CU Off-Campus Housing (OCH). To increase visibility, OCH recommends that in addition to listing on the sublet message board, you post your sublet as a property manager (for an additional fee), and it will appear on the main page of Ralphie’s List.

If you are currently living on campus or in Apartment Style Living, you can terminate your contract with no financial penalties to attend an official CU education abroad program. After you terminate your contract, you are no longer a contract holder and will have to re-apply for future housing as a non-resident, if you wish to live in University Housing. Please contact University Housing for more information.

There are many housing resources for returning education abroad students. CU Off-Campus Housing maintains listings of rooms, houses, apartments, roommate requests, Boulder specific-housing information and materials related to living off campus. Check out Ralphie’s List.

Housing may be available in University Housing Apartment Style Living. Information on how to apply to Apartment Style Living can be found here. Please note that spaces may be limited, so students should check University Housing for dates and deadlines.

Back to top of page

Health & Safety

If you have a life-threatening emergency, you should always contact the local emergency response system first. You will be provided with a emergency contacts that have the 911 equivalent in your host country. Keep these with you at all times and program the number(s) into your cell phone abroad.

In the event of non-life threatening emergency, you should always notify your on-site staff first. On-site staff are in the best position to provide immediate help, whether that be accompanying you to the doctor, reporting a theft, or helping you replace a lost passport.

For additional support, please contact International SOS (+1-215-942-8478 (collect worldwide)). When calling, reference member ID 11BCAS000006.

Your safety and security is our first priority. CU Boulder Education Abroad routinely monitors US State Department Travel Advisories, Overseas Security Advisory Council information, updates from our partners abroad, and alerts from our health insurance/evacuation company about unrest or threats that could jeopardize your safety abroad. You are encouraged to enroll in safety updates from a variety of sources. In rare cases, CU Boulder makes the decision to cancel an education abroad program and in so doing, evacuates students from their program site. See here for more information and CU Boulder’s Policy: Policy on Cancelation or Suspension of CU Boulder International Programs Involving Students.

Yes, you will be provided with limited health and accident insurance and will be automatically enrolled shortly before your education abroad program begins.* The cost is included in the program fee and the policy provides benefits that are often not available in your personal coverage. The education abroad policy is different from the insurance available to you through CU's Health and Wellness Services. You will be covered for most health and accident incidents in your host country and in other countries you travel to, but please read the coverage summary for exclusions. Preventive care and risky behavior - such as driving, skydiving and bungee jumping - are not covered. More information on the insurance policy and dates of coverage can be found on the Health Insurance page of the Accepted Student Guide. Note that the policy is not travel insurance (see below for more info on travel insurance).

* In the event of dismissal, your Education Abroad Travel Accident and Sickness insurance coverage may be cancelled.

No. The State of Colorado requires that the University of Colorado provide health insurance coverage to every student going on an approved CU Boulder program.

Since insurance coverage is provided while you go abroad, you may be thinking about dropping your current coverage. We recommend that you maintain personal health insurance at all times (even during your time out of the country). See the Health Insurance page of the Accepted Student Guide for more information. 

You will be automatically enrolled in coverage shortly before your program begins. If you need to use the health insurance for a sickness or emergency, you should contact your on-site staff for immediate medical assistance.

For additional support, please contact International SOS (+1-215-942-8478 (collect worldwide)). When calling, reference member ID 11BCAS000006.

CU Boulder Education Abroad does not offer travel insurance and does not require that students purchase it. However, like any other trip, your plans can change unexpectedly, bags can be lost en route, or personal property can be damaged. If you would like to insure your trip or your belongings a travel agency or online service can help you purchase travel insurance.

It depends. We advise that you consult the U.S. Department of State’s Health Information for Americans Abroad page, which includes advice about traveling and prescription medication. You should contact International SOS to determine if the prescription medication you plan to bring abroad is legal in your host country. As a student at the University of Colorado Boulder, you have access to membership in International SOS and the services they offer.

Consult the Center for Disease Control website for recommended immunizations for each country you plan on traveling to while abroad. Don't delay since you may need several shots, taken weeks apart. For more information see the Accepted Student Guide.

There are several resources designed specifically for travelers who want to receive pertinent updates. We recommend the following:

As you're planning for your time abroad and before paying any program or housing deposits (including independent housing leases), visa fees, flights, etc. consult these resources for updates and guidance. While abroad, continue to refer to these resources as well as your local on-site contacts.
Back to top of page

Parents & Family

Federal privacy laws prevent us from sharing certain information unless your student has given us written permission to do so. However, we attempt to share as much general information as possible on our website. You can access program information, read materials for outgoing students, view a sample participant contract and much more. We encourage students to share all of the information they receive with you!

Education abroad is the exciting pursuit of educational opportunities in another country. Students can go abroad during a summer, semester, year, or even during winter break and earn credit toward their degrees at CU Boulder. There are many different program features, which provide different opportunities within the program and affect what a student's day-to-day experience is like.

At the University of Colorado Boulder, approximately 25% of students who enter the university as first-year students and graduate attend an education abroad program. This number is expected to grow as the university puts a high priority on international experience for students in its Flagship 2030 Strategic Plan. Nationwide, approximately 10% of college students go abroad.

There are many reasons why your student should go abroad:

  • Your student will earn credit towards his or her degree, learn and build skills for a future career, be able to put an impressive experience on a resume, learn a new language or continue studying one, experience a new way of living and learning, step out of a comfort zone, and learn skills they would not otherwise learn.
  • Education abroad is a transformational experience for students. Most students feel that education abroad changes their lives, provides meaningful direction, and opens doors to future opportunities and successes they hadn't thought possible. For instance, one study showed that students who go abroad have greater future earning potential than students who did not go abroad.
  • "We have seen tremendous growth in our daughter as a result of her education abroad experience in Italy. Her studies and experiences allowed her to master the Italian language and develop a passion for European culture and the European lifestyle. The experience has been invaluable to her college education." - Quote from the father of a returned CU Boulder education abroad student.

Education abroad will not necessarily set your student back from graduating in four years. In fact, a recent analysis showed that CU Boulder students who go abroad graduated at the same speed as students who did not go abroad. Your student can earn credit toward his or her degree while abroad, including major, minor, certificate, core and elective credit. Ideally, your student will start planning at least a year in advance. Your students should work closely with his or her Academic Advisor in addition to the Education Abroad office.

Your student should go abroad when it best fits his or her schedule. While many students go abroad during junior year, what is best for each student varies. There are some programs open to eligible students the summer after their first-year, many programs open to eligible students with sophomore standing, and some programs that require junior standing.

There are hundreds of CU Boulder approved education abroad programs, so your student has a lot of options! We encourage students to find a program that is a great fit for him/her while taking into consideration factors like courses offered, location, program type, cost, etc. Our programs are generally in one of three categories: affiliated programs through education abroad organizations, faculty-led Global Seminars, and exchanges/other partnerships.

The benefits of CU Boulder programs are many, and include earning CU Boulder credit, the ability to use federal/institutional/state financial aid, and more.

If a student cannot find a program that fits his/her needs through CU Boulder, they are welcome to consider non-approved programs. However, if a student studies abroad on a non-approved program, they must apply to transfer the credit back to CU Boulder and they become ineligible for federal, institutional, and state financial aid.

If your student is interested in learning more or is ready to get started, your student should complete Abroad 101. Through Abroad 101 students learn about reasons for going abroad, differences between CU Boulder and non-CU Boulder programs, program types, housing options, major/minor credit, College of Arts & Sciences core, credits, grades, eligibility requirements, the application process, deadlines and graduation information. There is also an overview of the financial aspects of education abroad, including program costs and financial aid.

We provide a variety of services to students before, during, and after their education abroad experience. Examples include:

  • Advising and resources to select the program most suitable for your student
  • Assistance through the application process
  • Assistance with determining how credits earned abroad may help your student fulfill their CU Boulder degree requirements
  • Connection with a program manager who is an expert on your student's program
  • Resources on how to obtain a passport and/or visa
  • Assistance in working with various CU Boulder administrative offices
  • Advising regarding opportunities and pathways for financing education abroad
  • Continued registration as a full-time student at CU Boulder
  • Provision of pre-departure preparation and resources

The cost of going abroad varies by program. Some programs are similar (sometimes less!) to the cost of studying in Boulder, and others are more. Read much more on our Education Abroad Finances page.

  • Choose a program that fits your budget
  • Consider exchange programs
  • Apply to scholarships
  • Use federal, state, and/or institutional aid (e.g. Pell Grants, institutional grants, Stafford loans, PLUS loans, etc.)
  • Apply for private loans, etc.

Read more about funding opportunities on the Education Abroad Finances page.

You have access to the following CU Boulder resources: Parents and Family page, the Accepted Student Guide, and many other resources on our website. You are also welcome to attend your student's required in-person orientation when applicable. The only thing you can't see without a log-in is your student's application checklist (which includes pre-departure resources and information). Ask them to share this information with you if necessary. Additionally, if your student is going abroad with an education abroad organization, that organization will have resources for parents as well.

It is not recommended to visit your student during his or her program, but is definitely encouraged to visit afterwards.

Please check with your student's program as in some cases visitors are not allowed at all.

We also strongly recommend that at least one parent or guardian have a valid passport while your student is abroad. (This would be a critical piece if your student has an emergency and you wish to travel to be with them in a time of need.)

An education abroad organization or program provider is an organization that we partner with which organizes education abroad programs. Examples of program providers are Arcadia, CAPA, CIEE, ISA, IES, SIT, Syracuse, etc. Program providers have on-site staff to assist if there is an emergency, help students register for classes, coordinate housing, provide support for students' academic and personal needs, and much more. Providers are a great resource for answering site-specific questions like "In which neighborhood are the host families?" or "How will a vegetarian fare on this program?" Not all programs are with providers. We also have great direct exchange/other partnership programs and faculty-led Global Seminars.

The personal safety of your student while he or she is abroad is of extreme importance both to you and to Education Abroad. We take very seriously the role of preparing students through pre-departure orientations here in Boulder, extensive resource guides, contact with program providers, and on-site staff knowledgeable in the area. While your student is abroad, they will have access to on-site staff for assistance as well as our 24-hour emergency telephone. Note that staff in the Education Abroad office monitor updates on health and safety issues around the world that are issued by the U.S. Department of State, and take these into consideration when determining where to offer programs. Although most trips abroad are trouble-free, being prepared will go a long way in avoiding the possibility of serious trouble. Read more in the Accepted Student Guide, or see the Health & Safety FAQ.

We'd love to speak with you! You can contact us from 9 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday by calling 303-492-7741, emailing If you are in Boulder you are also welcome to come by during business hours to meet with an Education Abroad Advisor in person.

Back to top of page

Información Para Familias

Estudiar en el extranjero es la búsqueda emocionante para oportunidades educativas en otro país. Los estudiantes pueden estudiar en el extranjero durante el verano, por un semestre, o un año y pueden recibir crédito para su especialidad en CU Boulder. Hay muchos formatos de programas, y se puede leer sobre estos formatos acá.

Hay muchas razones:

  • Su hijo/a va a recibir crédito para su especialidad, va a aprender habilidades para una carrera en el futuro, podría poner una experiencia impresionante en su hoja de vida, va a aprender un nuevo lenguaje o continuar el estudio de uno, va a experimentar una manera nueva de vivir y aprender, y va a salir afuera de su zona de confort.
  • El estudio en el extranjero es una experiencia transformacional para los estudiantes. La mayoría de los estudiantes siente que el estudio en el extranjero cambia su vida, les da una dirección significativa en su vida, y abre puertas para oportunidades futuras y éxitos que los estudiantes nunca sabían eran posibles. Por ejemplo, un estudio mostró que los estudiantes que estudian en el extranjero tienen una potencial de ingresos más grande que los estudiantes que no estudian en el extranjero.
  • “Hemos visto un gran crecimiento personal en nuestra hija como un resultado de su estudio en el extranjero en Italia. Sus estudios y experiencias le permitieron dominar el lenguaje italiano y desarrollar su pasión por la cultura y el estilo de la vida europea. La experiencia ha sido inestimable para su educación universitaria.” – un padre de un estudiante de Boulder que estudió en el extranjero.


En la universidad de Colorado-Boulder, aproximadamente 25% de los estudiantes que entran la universidad en su primer año y se gradúan, estudian en el extranjero. La universidad espera aumentar este número a causa de su programa, Flagship 2030 Strategic Plan, que va a poner una gran prioridad en las experiencias internacionales. En los EE.UU, aproximadamente 5% de los estudiantes universitarios estudian en el extranjero.

El estudio en el extranjero no va a retrasar la graduación necesariamente. En realidad, un análisis reciente mostro que nuestros estudiantes que estudiaron en el extranjero se graduaron en el mismo periodo de tiempo como los que no lo hicieron. Su estudiante puede recibir crédito para su especialidad durante el estudio en el extranjero, que también incluye crédito para su minor, un certificado, core, y optativas. Idealmente, su estudiante va a planear su experiencia un año antes. Su estudiante debe trabajar con su asesora en adición a la oficina de programas de estudios en el extranjero.

Mientras que muchos estudiantes estudian durante su tercer año, lo que es mejor para cada estudiante varía. Hay programas que son abiertos a los estudiantes el verano después de su primer año, otros son abiertos a los estudiantes con crédito para estar en su segundo año, y unos requieren que se tiene crédito para estar en su tercer año.

Hay más de 330 programas para estudiar en el extranjero que son aprobados por CU Boulder. Entonces su estudiante tiene muchas opciones. Se anima a los estudiantes tener en cuenta unas cosas cuando están buscando un programa como los cursos que se ofrecen, el lugar, el tipo de programa, el costo, etc. La mayoría de los estudiantes van a encontrar un programa de CU Boulder que es perfecto. Generalmente nuestros programas son 1 de 3 categorías: proveedor de programas, seminarios mundiales dirigidos por la facultad académica, o intercambios.

Hay muchos beneficios de los programas de CU Boulder como la habilidad de usar ayuda financiera federal/institucional/del estado. (Mire "¿Qué servicios le ofrece la oficina para estudios en el extranjero a mi estudiante?” debajo.)

Si su estudiante no puede encontrar un programa con los requisitos necesarios, se puede considerar un programa no afiliada con CU Boulder. Sin embargo, si su estudiante estudia en un programa no afiliada con CU Boulder, tiene que aplicar para trasladar el crédito a CU Boulder y no estará elegible para recibir ayuda financiera federal/institucional/del estado. Por favor, lea más sobre CU Boulder vs. los programas no afiliados con CU Boulder acá.

El costo de estudiar en el extranjero depende en el programa. Algunos programas son similares (o algunas veces menos que) al costo de estudiar en Boulder, y otros son más caros. Se puede leer más en nuestra página de finanzas.

  • Elija un programa que se ajuste a su presupuesto
  • Considere un programa de intercambio
  • Aplique a unas becas
  • Use ayuda financiera federal/institucional/del estado (e.g. subvenciones Pell, subvenciones institucionales, préstamos Stafford, préstamos PLUS, etc.)
  • Aplique a préstamos privados

Haga clic acá para mas informacion.

Si su estudiante está interesado en aprender más o está listo para empezar, debe atender  Abroad 101 , una mini lectura de 30 minutos. En Abroad 101 los estudiantes aprenden sobre las razones de estudiar en el extranjero, las diferencias entre un programa de CU y uno no asociado con CU, los tipos de programas, las opciones de vivienda, crédito para su área de énfasis/para un minor, crédito de core para los artes y las ciencias, las notas, los requisitos de elegibilidad, el proceso de aplicarse, las últimas fechas de aplicarse, y la información de graduarse.

También, hay un resumen de los aspectos financieros del estudio en el extranjero, que incluye los costos y la ayuda financiera. Las preguntas son bienvenidas durante esta sesión. Los amigos y la familia pueden atender también. Se ofrece Abroad 101 varias veces cada semana. Se puede ver el horario acá.

Ud. tiene acceso a los siguientes recursos: Accepted Student Guide (La guía esencial para el estudio en el extranjero), y muchos otros recursos de nuestro sitio. También Ud. puede atender las siguientes orientaciones “requeridas” para los estudiantes salientes: la orientación general y la orientación especifica al programa. La única cosa que Ud. no puede ver sin una contraseña es la lista de todas las cosas que tiene que hacer el estudiante antes de ser aceptado a un programa. Se puede pedir su estudiante permiso a esta información si es necesario. Adicionalmente, si el estudiante va a estudiar en el extranjero con un proveedor de programa, los proveedores tendrán sus propios recursos también.

Ofrecemos una variedad de servicios a los estudiantes antes de, durante, y después de sus estudios en el extranjero. Unos ejemplos son:

  • Damos asesoría y recursos para elegir el programa mejor para su estudiante
  • Ayuda durante el proceso de aplicarse
  • Una conexión con un gerente del programa quien es un experto en los detalles del programa especifica
  • Recursos e información sobre el proceso de obtener un pasaporte y/o visa
  • Ayuda con el proceso de trabajar con otras oficinas administrativas en CU Boulder
  • Asesoría sobre las oportunidades de pagar para el estudio
  • Información para contactar a los alumnos que han estudiado en el extranjero
  • Registración continuado como un estudiante a tiempo completo en CU Boulder
  • Orientaciones antes de salir y preparación para su programa
  • Apoyo adicional durante el tiempo cuando el estudiante está afuera
  • Una garantía que los cursos que tome su estudiante van a aparecer en la transcripción académica y van a contar para el área de énfasis académico (excepciones: si el estudiante ya tiene 45 créditos o más en un departamento académico o si es un sujeto para que CU Boulder no da crédito)
  • Servicios para ex-alumos/as al regresar de estudiar en extranjero.

No es recomendable visitar a su estudiante durante el programa pero se puede hacerlo después del programa.

Por favor, hable con el programa porque en unos casos los visitantes no son admisibles durante todo el programa.

También, recomendamos que por lo mínimo un padre tenga un pasaporte valido durante el tiempo cuando su estudiante está afuera. (Eso sería crítico si su estudiante tiene una emergencia y Ud. quiere viajar para estar con él/ella).

Según las leyes federales de privacidad, hay alguna información que no podemos compartir sin la permisión escrita del estudiante. Sin embargo, tratamos de compartir tanta información como es posible en nuestro sitio de web. Se puede ver toda la información sobre los programas, se puede leer la información para los estudiantes salientes, se puede ver un ejemplo de un contrato, y mucho más. Nosotros les animamos a los estudiantes compartir toda la información que reciben con Uds.!

Tenemos que seguir las reglas de FERPA (Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act), que limita la información que pueden acceder los padres sin la permisión del estudiante. Cuando tiene 18 años o cuando comienza a atender la universidad, los derechos de FERPA transfieren al estudiante. FERPA es una ley federal que fue creada para proteger la privacidad de expedientes educativos, para establecer los derechos de los estudiantes para investigar y resumir sus expedientes, y para dar reglas para la protección de información incorrecta y engañosa con audiencias formales e informales. Para más información, que incluye como su estudiante puede llenar la hoja para darle acceso, mire este enlace.

Un proveedor de un programa es una organización con la cual somos compañeros y ellos organizan los estudios en el extranjero. Unos ejemplos de proveedores son: Arcadia University, AustraLearn, CAPA, CIEE, ISA, IES, SIT, Syracuse University, University of Virginia, etc. Los proveedores tienen empleados en todos sus sitios para ayudar si hay una emergencia, para ayudar con el proceso de registrarse para las clases, coordinar la vivienda, dar apoyo a los estudiantes con sus necesidades académicas y personales y mucho más. Se puede usar los proveedores para obtener respuestas especificas al lugar como “en cual barrio están las familias que reciben estudiantes?” o “Como es la vida para un vegetariano en este programa?” No todos los programas tienen un proveedor. También tenemos intercambios y otros programas y los Global Seminars (los programas dirigidos por la facultad de CU Boulder).

La seguridad personal del estudiante cuando está estudiando en el extranjero es muy importante a los padres y a la oficina de educación internacional. Sabemos que es muy importante preparar los estudiantes antes de salir y por eso tenemos las orientaciones antes de la ida, folletos amplios de recursos, contacto con los proveedores del programa, empleados bien informados en el área. Durante el tiempo cuando su estudiante está afuera, él/ella va a tener acceso a los empleados para ayuda y va a tener nuestro número del teléfono para las emergencias las 24 horas cada día. Los empleados acá en la oficina de programas en el extranjero supervisan las actualizaciones sobre la salud y la seguridad en el mundo que son mencionados por el departamento del estado de los EE.UU. No aprobamos los programas que tienen un aviso de viajar por el departamento del estado. Aunque la mayoría de los viajes no tienen problemas, estar preparado es muy importante para evitar la posibilidad de peligro grave. Se puede leer más en nuestro Accepted Student Guide (guía para la familia y los amigos – el enlace está en la izquierda) o leer más información sobre la seguridad personal y salud acá: Health & Safety FAQ.

Queremos hablar con Ud. Se puede contactarnos entre 9 – 5 cada día el lunes hasta el viernes. Nuestro número del teléfono es 303-492-7741 y nuestro correo electrónico es Si está en Boulder, puede visitar a nuestra oficina y hablar con un asesor/a.

Back to top of page

Last Updated April 2024