Skip to content
Australia by Anna Todd

Doctors' Visits

We recommend you schedule appointments with your primary care physician, local travel clinic, and any physical or mental health specialists you are seeing 4-6 weeks prior to your departure. Some programs (or even some visa applications) require a medical form, so make an appointment with your doctor early and bring in relevant medical forms from your program (if applicable) when you go.

Talk to your doctor about going abroad and getting necessary prescriptions filled to last for the duration of your program. Review the Taking Medications Abroad webpage for additional considerations. 

Check with a local travel clinic to see if your host country requires special immunizations or if there are certain health issues to be aware of. Bring relevant health records and check with your health insurance provider as some immunizations and visits to travel clinics may not be covered. Check CDC’s destination pages for travel health information to see what diseases or health risks are a concern at your destination, and familiarize yourself with the symptoms and treatment measures. 

If you are a fee-paying, CU Boulder student, you can schedule a travel consultation appointment at the Travel Clinic at CU Medical Services to prepare for your program. Medical Services staff can assess individual needs and provide customized advice for your destination, recommend and administer vaccinations, prescribe anti-malaria medications if needed, and complete any required medical clearance paperwork. Note that the cost for vaccinations will vary depending on whether or not you have the CU Gold plan. Plan ahead, and be sure to make an appointment (you can’t drop in). If your program or visa application requires medical paperwork and/or a medical exam, you must schedule an appointment at least two weeks in advance by calling (303) 492-5432. When scheduling your appointment, you will be asked which countries you are planning to visit. Please allow at least one hour for your travel appointment. For more information on university health insurance coverage, pricing, and travel services, visit the Travel Clinic website. 

Other travel clinics in the Boulder area include Passport Health (with locations throughout the U.S., including Boulder and Denver) and Worldwide Travel Clinic at Boulder Community Hospital.


Check with the resources below to find out what vaccinations are currently required and/or recommended for your program location. Don’t delay since you may need several shots taken weeks apart. 
  In addition to the required and recommended travel vaccinations, consider getting a flu shot (influenza vaccine). Remember your immune system may be weakened due to travel and exposure to new germs, making you vulnerable to the flu.

Proof of Vaccination(s)

Some countries require proof of certain immunizations for entry. This is especially common for the COVID-19 and Yellow Fever vaccines. Carry your physical vaccination record card and take a photo to have a digital version. Additionally, the World Health Organization (WHO) has an International Certificate of Vaccinations you can use to maintain a record of your immunizations. You can get this certificate from many physicians, passport offices, or the local Department of Health. You may be asked to present it upon entry to countries that have immunization requirements.

COVID-19 Vaccinations 

COVID-19 vaccination requirements may vary by country, program, host university, and/or program housing. It is your responsibility to research and monitor these COVID-19 vaccination requirements, keeping in mind that these requirements may change periodically. Vaccination requirements may include required booster shots; many countries have stricter vaccine requirements (and fewer exemptions) than the U.S. You are required to abide by any vaccine requirements and associated exemptions from your program or country. 
Last Updated May 2023
Photo - Australia by Anna Todd