Skip to content

Health Insurance

Education Abroad Health Insurance Policy, Claim Form & Medical and Travel Security Assistance

Every participant on a CU Boulder education abroad program is automatically enrolled in Education Abroad's Travel Accident and Sickness insurance coverage, which is a limited accident and health insurance policy*. Most students are also covered under another insurance policy through their on-site provider (SAS, ISA, SIT, CIEE, etc.), host country or host university. That insurance usually applies first in case of incidents and the Education Abroad insurance serves as a secondary policy.

Since insurance coverage is provided while you are on your program abroad, you may be thinking about dropping your current coverage. We recommend that you maintain Affordable Care Act-compliant health insurance at all times (even during your time out of the country). You should contact your insurance provider with any questions about your specific policy. Education Abroad does not sell insurance or in any way guarantee payment of benefits. Do not make any assumptions about your coverage and maintain coverage at all times while you are in the U.S., before, during, and after your program.

If you choose to continue your Gold CU Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), you must speak with the Health & Wellness Student Insurance Department to complete a manual enrollment. Students enrolled in Education Abroad are not automatically enrolled in SHIP, nor does SHIP carryover to a student’s spring account when on education abroad for the spring term. The Student Insurance Department is located in the Wardenburg Health Center, room 332. For more information about enrolling in SHIP, please email or call 303-492-5107.

For more details, please see the Accepted Student Guide.

To use the Education Abroad insurance, after consulting with on-site staff, you may call International SOS (+1-215-942-8478) for support. International SOS will advise you on your medical or security questions. If costs are incurred while using the Education Abroad insurance, International SOS will work with the insurance company to cover your expenses.

While abroad, students have access to mental health support through International SOS. To access these services, students may call International SOS (+1-215-942-8478). Students are also encouraged to utilize CAPS Resources for Students Out of State.
International SOS Medical and Security Assistance: +1-215-942-8478 (collect calls accepted worldwide) – when calling, reference member ID 11BCAS000006.

International SOS 24/7 Travel Assistance Services

Reimbursement Claims
In the event you sought medical treatment abroad for a minor accident or sickness and paid out of pocket for that treatment, please follow the instructions below to seek reimbursement for your claim:
Insurance carriers are classifying COVID-19 as a pandemic disease. This means that the threat of COVID-19 is not considered a trigger for security evacuation, trip interruption and trip cancellation benefits. In addition: COVID-19 testing is not covered unless ordered by a doctor out of medical necessity for a traveler experiencing symptoms of COVID-19; Preventative care is not covered; Expenses related to a quarantine are not covered.


Cancel / Interrupt for Any Reason Insurance

The insurance coverage described on this page does not include Cancel/Interrupt for Any Reason (CFAR/IFAR) insurance. While Education Abroad remains optimistic that programs will run, many things could change between now and program start dates including local conditions, entry requirements, etc. For these reasons, we recommend students consider purchasing CFAR/IFAR insurance. While not a requirement, CFAR/IFAR policies can add extra insurance for financial commitments and give students a little more flexibility in their personal decision timeline. One example of this policy is through Travel Insured.

* If a student withdraws while abroad, or are dismissed, their Education Abroad health insurance coverage will end once they return to their home country. Upon return to their home country, a 30 day extension of coverage is available but only applies for follow up care related to an insurance claim filed while abroad.