Release, Waiver, and Assumption of Risk: All Programs
As a first step in planning, check the Travel Advisories for your intended destination(s). The U.S. Department of State issues a Travel Advisory for each country of the world. Travel Advisories apply up to four standard levels of advice, describe the risks, and provide clear actions U.S. citizens should take to help ensure their safety. An overall Travel Advisory level is issued for each country, but levels of advice may vary for specific locations or areas within a country. For instance, U.S. citizens may be advised to “Exercise increased caution” (Level 2) in a country, but to “Reconsider travel” (Level 3) to a particular area within the country. Note that conditions can change rapidly in a country at any time. To see a complete list of Travel Advisories for every country in the world, see http://travel.state.gov/traveladvisories. For more details and FAQs about our safety and security information, please see http://travel.state.gov/travelsafely.
By signing electronically, I certify that:
- I have read the Travel Advisory for my intended destination(s) and I understand the safety concerns and risks listed by the U.S. Department of State as well as the risk mitigation measures that should be taken.
- I have been provided an opportunity to raise any questions regarding the Travel Advisory, and I understand its content. During program dates, I am prohibited from independent travel to areas listed as "Reconsider Travel" or "Do Not Travel".
- If accepted, I will follow the advice provided by CU Boulder and the on-site staff, and carefully consider my actions throughout the program.
- Should safety and security issues in the country change, the program is subject to cancellation at any time by the University of Colorado Boulder’s International Risk Committee for Student Travel.
- I understand I am in no way required or expected to participate in this program, in this location, by the University of Colorado.
Assumption of risk: I understand the content of the travel advisory and I assume the associated risks. I recognize and assume the risk of loss, injury, or harm, including death, that could come about as a consequence of participating in this program, and I nonetheless wish to participate. I recognize and assume all risks involved in traveling to and within, and returning from, the locations contemplated by this program including those subject to the travel advisory. Such risks may include but are not limited to war, quarantine, civil unrest, public health risks, criminal activity, terrorism, exposure to communicable diseases, ill effects of unfamiliar food and water, incidents related to ground, air or water transportation, adverse weather conditions, natural disasters, accident, injuries or damage to property, and other physical, mental and emotional injury.
Release: In consideration of my participation in the program, on behalf of myself and all those who could ever advance a claim through me, I agree to release and indemnify the University of Colorado, including its trustees, employees, agents and representatives, from any and all claims and expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees, for any injury, loss or damage, including catastrophic injury or death, related to my participation in this program.
I have given this matter serious thought. I freely accept full responsibility for my decision to participate in the program, and to accept the terms of this Acknowledgment of Risk and Release.