Women & Gender Studies Education Abroad Guide
CU Boulder Education Abroad offers over 400 programs in over 70 countries! You can go abroad for a semester, year, 2-12 weeks in the summer, or even winter break. Going abroad is strongly encouraged by the Women and Gender Studies department. Use the following information as a general guideline to plan your time abroad, and connect with your academic advisor as well. Work with Education Abroad advisors to get more details on how to get started, discuss your program options, and next steps.
- Go abroad sophomore or junior year
- With advance planning, WGST students can easily go abroad for a semester or longer and still graduate on time
- There is no limit to the number of required WGST courses, WGST electives, non-WGST electives, or A&S Gen Ed courses that you may take abroad
- Lower-division courses may count as electives. Upper-division courses may count towards the cognate requirements in Gender/Sexuality, Race/Ethnicity, or Global/Transnationalism, or as electives
- Use the Course Approvals List to find programs that offer courses approved for the credit you need
Planning and When to Go
- First-year: Start planning for education abroad! Plan ahead and take A&S Gen Ed and WGST courses that may not be available on the education abroad program you choose.
- Sophomore and junior: This is a good time for education abroad as you will likely be fairly proficient in a foreign language and/or be well along in completing your A&S Gen Ed and and major requirements. If needed, make sure your language abilities match the program you wish to attend. (Note that many programs are taught entirely in English).
- Senior: WGST majors are required to take WMST 4800: Senior Colloquium in Feminist Studies, which is offered only in spring semesters; students studying abroad during the spring semester of their senior year should take this course in the spring of their junior year. Work closely with your advisor to ensure that you can get all of your requirements completed. Be sure that you know when the credits may be transcripted, as this can delay your official graduation date.
What Kind of Credit Can You Earn Abroad?
|Usually Doable||Tricky||Probably Not|
|General Electives||A&S Gen Ed||WGST||A&S Gen Ed||WGST||A&S Gen Ed||WGST|
|Overall credit hours||Arts and Humanities, Natural Science (Non-Lab), Social Sciences||Required WGST courses and electives, cognate area courses||Global Diversity||N/A
||Natural Science (Lab), Written Communication||N/A|
Suggested ProgramsUse these links to find programs that may be a good match for you and your course needs.
- Show me the short list, I need WGST credit: Suggested programs for WGST
- I want a lot of program options, but really want WGST credit: Programs where WGST courses are offered
- I am not concerned with getting WGST credit and want to see all of my options: Program search for all programs