As part of the Office of Undergraduate Education, Education Abroad serves over 2,000 CU Boulder students annually. Established in 1960, Education Abroad administers hundreds of study abroad programs including faculty-led, internships, research, and field study programs in more than 60 countries around the world. Students receive in-residence credit and can use their federal, state, and institutional financial aid to help pay for any approved CU Boulder Education Abroad program. The Education Abroad team provides students with advising, pre-departure support, scholarships, health and safety oversight, and support while abroad. We serve as a resource for the campus community and support academic units, faculty, and staff as they contribute to CU Boulder’s global initiatives and retention efforts.
We envision a future in which an education abroad experience is recognized as an essential component in achieving CU Boulder’s strategic imperatives of shaping tomorrow's leaders and positively impacting humanity.
Our mission is to provide all students with global, positively challenging, inclusive academic learning experiences. We promote intercultural exchange through our program portfolio, enabling students to engage thoughtfully with other cultures, build personal and professional skills, and impact their host and home communities meaningfully.
- Ensure access to education abroad opportunities for all traditionally underrepresented students
- Minimize financial barriers by offering affordable programs and increasing need-based scholarship opportunities
- Maximize the diversity of global perspectives on campus by increasing student participation in programs in non-traditional locations
- Increase collaboration with campus departments and international education partners to support the needs and well-being of students
- Engage students early in their academic careers
- Center environmental and social responsibility in our work
- Learning & Growth
- Access & Inclusion
Oversight Organizations & AffiliationsWe adhere to best practices in the field, including the Forum’s on Education Abroad’s Standards for Good Practice for Health, Safety, Security, and Risk Management, recognized by the U.S. federal government as the Standards Development Organization for Education Abroad.
CU Boulder governing bodies:
- The Forum on Education Abroad Standards
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- Diversity Abroad Network
- Institute of International Education
Photo “The Ocean Front of Cape Town" by Matthew McAllister