Skip to content

International Travel Registration

International Travel Registration
The International Risk Committee supports maintaining any vaccine mandate policy decisions put forth by CU leadership, and therefore International Travel Registration travelers must comply with campus vaccine mandates.

Departmental travel (academic departments, athletics, etc.)

International travel must be approved through the high-risk travel approval process.
Those approving international travel through CU Boulder should consider the factors laid out in the COVID-19 Conditions Criteria for Education Abroad when making approval decisions. Education Abroad is not responsible for any travel organized outside of our office and this document is meant for informational purposes only.

Student group travel

International travel will not be permitted through the end of 2021. Check back later this fall for details on the approval process of international travel for 2022. 
International travel involving students that is CU Boulder-sponsored, CU Boulder-affiliated, related to a CU Boulder activity/program, or accompanied by CU faculty/staff, must be registered with CU Education Abroad prior to departure.

See the CU Boulder Policy on Student International Travel and Programs for full details, and consult the tabs above for registration information.

Due to the continued fluidity of the current situation and global response to COVID-19, we recommend continuing to follow the advice of the CDC, International SOS and local on-site contacts. As you're planning for your time abroad, be prepared for last minute changes in your ability to travel internationally and potential financial ramifications.


Who is required to register?


The CU Boulder Policy on Student International Travel and Programs applies to the following:

  1. International travel by students (or by faculty/staff accompanying students) on university business or sponsorship
  2. Education abroad programs*, international internships, research, conferences, volunteering, service learning, independent study done abroad, or international travel that is part of a class
  3. International travel sponsored by or affiliated with CU Boulder or by a CU Boulder student organization
    • This applies to both affiliated and independent student organizations registered with the Center for Student Involvement

The policy does not apply to:

  1. Faculty/staff traveling without students
  2. CU students who are also CU employees (i.e. Graduate Research Assistants) and who travel internationally as part of their CU employment
  3. Personal and/or domestic travel

*Note that students participating in approved programs through CU Education Abroad complete the program application process in lieu of this registration.

Not sure if you need to register? Email us.

What are the benefits of registering?

  • International medical, evacuation and repatriation insurance
  • Online health, safety and security orientation
  • Online group leader orientation
  • Health, safety and security handbooks
  • 24/7 emergency communication services
  • Enrollment in the U.S. State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
  • Registration in the International SOS TravelTracker travel assistance program
  • Country-specific health, safety and security monitoring
  • Access to International SOS emotional support services
  • Access to SilverCloud Online Mental Health program
There is a fee for these services; contact us for details.

For additional information and/or to start the registration process, please email or call 303-492-7741.


High-Risk Locations


See above for information on the international travel approval process for the 2021-2022 academic year.

Per the CU Boulder Policy on Student International Travel and Programs, all CU Boulder-related international travel involving students to a country and/or area designated as a “High-Risk Location” is restricted and requires an appeal to the campus International Risk Committee for Student Travel for permission to travel.

Travel Advisory Suspension Appeals


Send appeal inquiries to to request the appeal instructions. Submit all required paperwork three months prior to the desired departure date.

Please note that the IRC may withdraw approval for international travel at any time based on changes in the security, health or safety situation of a location. Additionally, the IRC may request a review of travel plans for approval at any time, regardless of the current US Department of State Travel Advisory level. The full cancellation policy can be found here.

Working with Education Abroad

Education Abroad (EA) will support you throughout your international experience. We work with over 2,000 CU Boulder students going abroad each year and are experts in international travel and health, safety and security planning. Our goal is to help prepare you for the best possible experience abroad and to guide you through some of the basic precautions you can take to create a positive experience for all involved.
See here a list of travel resources, including templates and forms for health, safety, and security planning.

Forms and Templates for Travelers


Resources provided by EA


Additional resources for planning


I am a faculty/staff member and am covered by the University's GeoBlue insurance. Do I have to register?
Faculty/staff members who are traveling internationally on University business without students are not required to register with Education Abroad or purchase our insurance. When the international travel involves students, however, the University has a greater responsibility to mitigate risk. Faculty/staff accompanying students on international travel must register and enroll in the same insurance policy as the students so that all travelers are subject to the same policy regarding potential evacuations.

What if I am both a CU student and a CU employee?
International travel by students (such as Graduate Research Assistants) traveling as part of their CU employment should refer to the CU International Travel website for CU employees.

What is the difference between this process and the non-approved program process?
Non-approved programs are typically study abroad programs that have no connection to CU, either through approval, funding/sponsorship, credit, or other affiliation. Students who choose to participate in non-approved programs must register these programs but do not have access to the services provided by the CU Education Abroad office, which include, but are not limited to: advising on program selection, emergency assistance, in-residence credit for courses, oversight of academic content, access to academic advising, access to financial aid, and general support before departure and while abroad. For more information, see CU Boulder Programs vs. Non-Approved Programs.

On the other hand, if the international travel is not an approved program but is CU-related (CU-sponsored, CU-affiliated, or related to a CU Boulder activity/program), the travel must be registered through the International Travel Registration process, and the services outlined under the International Travel Registration tab (above) are provided.

What are the registration requirements?
Prior to completing the registration, groups must have one individual (usually the group leader or a non-traveling administrative assistant) complete the Group Pre-Registration. This provides us with the information we need to set up the registrations for the group. Individual travelers will have the pre-registration forms included in their registration.

All travelers are required to submit their citizenship and emergency contact information to facilitate insurance and STEP registration. In addition, travelers will sign a few waivers, complete an online pre-departure orientation, and read the International Traveler Handbook.

In addition to these requirements, group leaders will complete an online group leader orientation and sign group leader waivers.

What if I withdraw my travel plans after I have completed the registration?
Education Abroad will withdraw your registration, insurance coverage, and STEP enrollment. The International Travel Registration fees are non-refundable.

How does the insurance work?
Our policy, and most other policies, require the traveler to pay medical bills at the time of treatment and later submit a claim to the insurance company for reimbursement. Be prepared to have to pay cash up front. Invoices and/or receipts are required when submitting a claim; be sure to keep proper documentation of all medical treatment until the claim is completely settled. In the event of an illness or injury whose treatment cost is high, Education Abroad will work with the insurance provider to facilitate direct payment to the hospital or clinic.

When will I receive insurance information?
You should receive an email from the insurance company no later than one week prior to your departure. Note that this will not be the case if you inform our office of your travel within one week of your departure. The email includes a policy summary, verification letter, ID card, and instructions for portal access.

Do I need to purchase your insurance if I am covered by a CU Medical Services health plan?
Yes. The policy provides benefits not often available in participants' personal coverage and differs from the insurance available through Wardenburg. Included in the policy are medical, political and social unrest, and natural disaster evacuation and repatriation coverage. Per CU policy, all students and faculty/staff accompanying students traveling internationally are required to enroll, regardless of other coverage.

Can you extend my insurance coverage dates if I elect to travel independently after my program?
Our insurance will only provide coverage during the dates of your official CU-related international travel. If you remain abroad after the fact, you will no longer be covered, so we encourage you to purchase insurance independently for any travel outside official dates. You will find many options on

What is the policy on family members accompanying a group on travel?
Please refer to the International Risk Committee for Student Travel (IRC) Rules Governing Visitors on CU Boulder International Programs Involving Students.

Are travelers permitted to consume alcohol during the program?
Consumption of alcohol on CU-related international travel is governed by the International Risk Committee for Student Travel's Rules Governing Alcohol on CU Boulder International Programs. Faculty, staff, or group leaders (including student leaders) may request a waiver to the rules for academic activities where alcohol is relevant to the academic content of the experience (e.g., wine tasting when visiting a winery or beer tasting when visiting a brewery). Please note that all required documentation must be submitted three months prior to the desired departure date.

What are the benefits of STEP registration?
The U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program is a free service that allows U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By enrolling, you will:

  • Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans
  • Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency
  • Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency
You will be registered for the STEP program prior to your departure.

How does the U.S. Department of State determine risk ratings?
The U.S. Department of State provides detailed information regarding travel advisory levels and risk indicators on their website.

What CU policies apply to me as an international traveler?
All University policies that apply to you on the CU Boulder campus also apply while you are abroad on CU-related international travel. These policies include, but are not limited to: the Student Code of Conduct, Discrimination and Harassment Policy, Sexual Misconduct Policy, Amorous Relationships Policy, and CU policies regarding alcoholic beverages.