Skip to content

Study and Research Abroad

Costa Rica - by Lauren Kramer
  1. Study Abroad Opportunities for Graduate Students: CU Boulder graduate students have some study abroad programs available where they can earn graduate credit.
  2. Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX): The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) for Young Professionals is a full-year work-study scholarship program with a strong focus on cultural exchange. CBYX annually provides 75 young Americans with an understanding of everyday life, education, and professional training in Germany. The program begins in July and includes two months of intensive German language training in Germany (no prior German language knowledge required), four months of classroom instruction at a German university or college of applied sciences, and a five-month internship in a participant’s career field.
  3. ECELA: Volunteer or study Spanish or Medical Spanish abroad in Peru, Chile, and Argentina.
  4. French Cultural Services offers French Government scholarships and grants for American students who want to study, research or intern in France.
  5. Fulbright: The Fulbright program is a prestigious teaching, research, and study grant intended to further international cooperation and understanding. OIE welcomes proposals for projects in any Fulbright country and offers assistance to students who are in the process of application or have been accepted. For more information, please go to the Fulbright webpage or CU Boulder's Top Scholars page.
  6. George J. Mitchell Scholarship is a competitive scholarship for study in Ireland.
  7. IBCR: The International Bureau for Children’s Rights (IBCR) is an international non-governmental organization (INGO) based in Montreal, Canada. IBCR’s mission is to contribute to the promotion and protection of the rights of the Child as laid out in the Convention on the Rights of the Child, an international legal instrument adopted by the UN in 1989 and now ratified by 193 countries.
  8. a search engine for grad schools around the word.
  9. Marshall Scholarship: These funds are available for studies towards a degree in the United Kingdom.
  10. Middlebury College: Middlebury College offers M.A. degrees in Chinese, French, German, Italian, Russian, or Spanish. Students can earn their degree in a combination of a summer (or summers) in Vermont [summer options available in Poitiers, France and Guadalajara, Mexico] and an academic year at one of their Schools Abroad. Students working toward their M.A. in Chinese can spend an academic year at the Monterey Institute of International Studies.
  11. Monbusho (Japanese Government) Research Scholarships: One and a half or two year research grants for study in the humanities, social or natural sciences at a Japanese university. No previous Japanese required, but must be willing to study the language on-site. Must be a U.S. citizen, a university or college graduate and under 35 years of age. Grant covers transportation to and from Japan, tuition and fees, living allowance and accommodations. For more information, contact the Asian Languages and Civilizations Department.
  12. The Rhodes Scholarship: For students with impressive grades and leadership who would like to study at Oxford University in the UK.
  13. SIT Graduate Institute: The SIT Graduate Institute is a nonprofit, accredited graduate school that offers master’s degrees and graduate level certificates and professional development programs.
  14. Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Degrees: An Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree (EMJMD), is a prestigious, integrated, international study programme, jointly delivered by an international consortium of higher education institutions.


Disclaimer: Providing information about international opportunities does not constitute an endorsement by the University of Colorado Boulder or the Office of International Education. The Office of International Education is not an agent for these programs, does not guarantee their quality or that academic credits earned may be transferred to CU Boulder. These listings are provided for your information only.