Buffs Abroad Scholarships are a group of awards that you can apply for using one application submission. We work with our partner programs (such as ISA, CIEE, SIT, etc.) as well as various Schools and Colleges at CU Boulder (such as Leeds, CEAS, IAFS, etc.) to award scholarship money through the Buffs Abroad Scholarships application process.
Eligibility and Award Criteria:
Buffs Abroad Scholarships can only be used by students going on official/approved CU Boulder education abroad programs. A list of qualifying programs is available here
. Scholarships are awarded primarily on the basis of demonstrated financial need, as described below. The definition of financial need is fairly broad, so if you have some financial concern, we encourage you to apply. If you qualify for one of the special scholarships (such as those awarded to specific majors or locations) your application will be evaluated based on a combination of need and merit. By applying for a Buffs Abroad Scholarship you agree to these terms
should you be given an award.
||Early Bird decisions:
2 week processing*
One Month processing
|Spring/Winter/Calendar Year programs
June 1 and September 15
|Apply by: October 1
|Fall/Summer/Academic Year programs
November 15 and February 15
|Apply by: March 1
*To receive a scholarship decision within 2 weeks of submitting your application, please apply during the Early Bird decision timeframe stated above. Do NOT submit your scholarship application until you have an open application for your program. Some programs and special scholarships are not eligible for a rolling decision - please click here for a list of Programs Ineligible For Rolling Scholarship Decisions
How to Apply:
- If you haven't already, open an application for your education abroad program (note the list of programs above that are ineligible for rolling scholarship decisions). Do NOT proceed with the scholarship application until you have connected with an Education Abroad Advisor to open a program application. For instructions/information on applying to a program, visit the Applying webpage (for programs).
- Begin the Buffs Abroad application by clicking the 'Get Started' button at the top of this page and follow steps as prompted.
- You will be asked to complete four short-answer essay questions, and then submit your application. Once you submit the application you have no further steps.
- Once an award decision as been made you will receive an automated email prompting you to login and view your award decision.
Need is demonstrated by viewing your FAFSA information on file with the CU Boulder Office of Financial Aid (if you have applied for financial aid). Need may also be demonstrated through information provided in the essays regarding your financial situation/need (thus is it NOT a requirement that students have Financial Aid FAFSA information on file).
Notes and Tips:
Awards and Your Bursar/Financial Aid Accounts:
- If you are applying for two different programs you should submit a separate scholarship application for each program (this applies for programs in separate terms as well as two programs within the same term such as summer).
- Scholarships are not transferable between programs, terms, or students. If you switch to a different program or term, your scholarship must be re-reviewed.
- It is recommended that students read the scholarship "tips" that can also be accessed from the online scholarship application form (once you create an application, you will see a link to the tips in the instructions section).
- If you receive a scholarship it will be credited to your CU Boulder Bursar account to help pay the education abroad program fee.
- Awards for Fall and Spring programs will appear on your account 10 days before the start of your program.
- Awards for Summer programs are will appear on your account 7 days before the start of your program.
- Buffs Abroad Scholarship awards may not be used to pay the $550 program deposit.
- By applying for a Buffs Abroad Scholarship you agree to these terms should you be given an award.
- If a Buffs Abroad Scholarship causes the total aid you receive to exceed the cost of studying abroad, your aid might be adjusted. You can check with the Office of Financial Aid after April 10 or November 10 to determine if this may be the case.