Skip to content

FAQ: Academic Advisors

Academic Advisor FAQs

If credit is offered for the internship on the program abroad, it means that the internship is accompanied by an academic component with assignments, readings, etc. If students want to apply the credits towards their CU degree hours (or a specific degree requirement) they must get written permission from their major department or college. If they take a for-credit internship but do not get written permission from their college or department, the course will appear on their transcript with a ‘grade’ of NC. Departments/colleges must sign the Education Abroad Internship Credit Approval Form in order to “house” the credit for the student. Note that approval to allow the internship to be housed in a specific department will default to generic department credit that does not count towards an actual major requirement. The department would need to further specify that the internship met a specific requirement.

For all schools/colleges except A&S and CMCI, students can route the Credit/Course Approval for Non-Approved Education Abroad form to Admissions, their school/college and then Academic Advisor. This form is available under the forms section on the Academic Advisors page.

For the Colleges of A&S and CMCI, students are not able to obtain any pre-approvals regarding credit transfer for non-approved education abroad programs (neither Admissions nor A&S/CMCI nor the A&S/CMCI departments). If students bring forms for non-approved education abroad, you will likely inform the student that you cannot sign the form. You can refer them to the Non-Approved Programs information for A&S & CMCI students.  Education Abroad staff cannot sign these forms either.  Once students fill out the brief online registration for their non-approved program, they can print out a form letter that the student can submit it to their program. This form is a proven acceptable substitute for any form that requires a signature. 

NOTE: Starting with summer/fall/full-year 2016 students, all education abroad grades will be converted to pass/fail EXCEPT for faculty-led Global Seminars (which will maintain A-F letter grades).

For students who studied abroad in fall 2015 or earlier, there are three different possibilities for students’ education abroad grades and how they are posted on the CU record.

  • Letter Grades: On programs where the letter grades (A-F) assigned overseas are based on the American grading system or a similar system, grades appear on the student’s CU Boulder transcript and are averaged into their CU Boulder GPA (except for Engineering, which posts all education abroad grades as pass/fail).
  • Pass/Fail: In other cases, the host country's grading system differs greatly, and the foreign grades are converted to pass, no credit, or fail grades on the CU Boulder transcript.
  • Hybrid: On some education abroad programs, students take a mix of classes and their CU transcript will show a mix of letter grades and Pass/Fail grades.

Regardless of which grading policy applies, the following apply:

  • Education abroad pass/fail credit is exempt from college limits on student-elected pass/fail credit. The only exceptions are the rare cases when students can take one course pass/fail on graded programs.
  • On pass/fail or hybrid programs, passing grades (and No credit grades) do not count into the student’s CU GPA, but failing grades WILL count.
  • On programs where pass/fail credit is earned, students cannot choose to have letter grades recorded instead (and vice/versa).

Advisors can view the average time frame for receipt of the transcript by visiting the Education Abroad Transcripts page.

  1. Courses/credits are entered directly into DARS by Education Abroad staff. This makes them immediately visible to students and Advisors via DARS.
  2. Original transcript and Education Abroad degree audit print out are sent to the Registrar’s office to be manually posted to CU-SIS. At the same time, the Education Abroad placeholder course is removed.  It typically takes 1-2 weeks for the Registrar to post the courses to CU-SIS and remove the placeholder.
  3. Documents scanned into Singularity by the Registrar’s office.

Handle these requests in the same way you handle regular transfer pointing and exception requests in your college.

You are welcome to send your question to Cindy Kraft (cindy.kraft[at], the overall liaison to Academic Advisors. If she is not available and your question is urgent, call the main Education Abroad office number, identify yourself as an Academic Advisor with an urgent question, and the front desk staff will try to find an available Advisor or Program Manager for you.

You can view each Education Abroad Program Manager’s program assignments on their staff page (see link at the top of the website). Click on a staff name to view their portfolio. This may take a few minutes, so you are welcome to contact Cindy with all questions to make things easier for you.